ARMY ORDINANCE CORPS
The battle-worthiness of a modern army depends to a great extent upon the availability of required munitions of war at the right time and place. The Army Ordinance Corps has fulfilled this pivotal role for the last two centuries. From the days of the muskets of the Presidency Armies to the electronically-operated guns of today, the Corps has had a long history and has borne the impact of changes with foresight and dynamism.
The Corps had its origin in 1775 when a Board of Ordinance was planned and recommended by the then Commander-in Chief Lt. General Sir John Clavering. It was reorganized in 1884. In 1922, the ordinance and clothing services under the Director of Equipment and Ordinance Stores were styled as Indian Army Ordinance Corps (IAOC). The services rendered by the Corps during the Second World War marked another glorious chapter in its history. In December 1970, the Corps had the privilege of being presented its colours by the Vice President of India.
The Army Ordinance Corps is one of the complex organizations in the Indian Army today. The diversity of range of stores and equipment provided by the Corps in terms of the number of items, their size, volume and value remains unequalled by even the largest and best-equipped inventory holder in the country. The Corps provides every conceivable requirement of the soldier and paramilitary forces with the exception of only rations, fuel, medical supplies and certain specialized engineering equipment.
Stamp issued to commemorate the Bicentenary of the Army Ordinance Corps. The illustration on the stamp symbolises stylised form of cannon. The varying thickness and colour of the three cannons represent the growth of the Army Ordinance corps from 1775 till the present day.
(Source: Information sheet issued by the P&T Department)
Date of issue: 8.4.1975