UNIVERSITY OF ALLAHABAD
The credit for conceiving a large Central College at Allahabad, eventually to develop, into a University, goes to Sir William Muir, the then Lieutenant Governor. The College commenced work in a rented building, "Lowther Castle" on July 1, 1872 with Mr. Augustus Harrison as Principal, four other teachers and about a dozen students on the roll of the Arts Department.
The present site of the College building was finally selected by Colonel Hutchinson and the building plan was designed by an eminent English architect W. Emerson in a modified Saracen style. The foundation stone of the building was laid on December 9, 1873 by Lord Northbrook, Viceroy and Governor General of India.
The College took twelve years to be completed at a cost of approximately Rs. 9 lacs and its building, apart from teaching accommodation, consisted of the Vizianagaram tower, the hall, and the library built of stone. This building which came to be known as Muir Central College was formally opened on April 8, 1886 by Lord Dufferin. The college was affiliated to Calcutta University.
On September 23, 1887 was passed Act XVIII incorporating the University of Allahabad giving birth to the present University. Its first convocation was addressed by Hon'ble Sir Alfred Comyns Lyall on November 15, 1887 thus lending the University the status of a Degree conferring institution. After the passing of the Indian Universities Act VIIl of 1904, the new territorial limits of Allahabad University were specified; it was meant to serve an area of 4,52,830 Sqr miles and a population of about 9 crores. Soon after, a new building for the University was proposed and on January 17th, 1910 the foundations of the present, University Senate Hall, and the adjoining two stone buildings were laid by the then Chancellor Sir John Hewett. The approximate expenditure on these three buildings was over Rs. 10 lacs.
After reorganization in 1922, the University acquired a double role, firstly as a self contained, unitary, residential University and secondly as an affiliating body, for outlying colleges. The residential part of the University at that time had 846 students on its roll. From 1927 the University changed its' character and started functioning purely as a teaching and residential institution.
In the course of its eventful development, the University has, in the national and international fields, established its worth: QUOT RAMI TOT ARBORES (as many branches so many trees) The extraordinary achievements of the University, and the distinction earned for it by a galaxy of renowned teachers, have shed lustre on virtually all spheres of national life. Equally remarkable are the contributions of its students and students union. As scholars, teachers scientists, artists, literateurs, jurists, diplomats, soldiers, sportsmen, administrators, industrialists, politicians and dedicated social workers, the alumni of the University have carried the name and the glorious traditions of their alma mater to the far corners of the country and the world.
Over these 100 years the University has grown both vertically and horizontally with over 15,000 students and 26 teaching departments on its Campus. It has added many more technical and professional courses bringing into its fold the faculties of Engineering and medicine, the constituent and associated colleges.
Text, courtesy: University of Allahabad.
Description of Design: The 200p. multicolour stamp depicts the main block of the University of Allahabad. The first Day cover depicts the Vizianagaram Hall and is designed by Shri Sankha Sarnantha, and the cancellation by Miss Nenu Bagga.
Date of Issue: 23.9.1987