Nalanda College, Biharsharif (Bihar) is the oldest college of the Magadh University. It was established a century back as the Bihar English High School. The first batch of students appeared in the year 1871 from the Calcutta University. Thanks to the munificent donation made by the late Rai Bahadur Edal Singh, its founder, it blossomed into a full-fledged college in 1920. The donor gave away his zamindari property worth Rs. Two and a half lakhs with an annual income of Rs. 12,000 for the setting up of the college. The institution takes its name from the famous and ancient Nalanda University. The college was inaugurated by the then Lt. Governor of Bihar on 20th July 1920.
The Nalanda University celebrated its centenary in March1970. The Posts and Telegraphs Department issued a special commemorative stamp. The stamp depicts the college building.
Date of issue: 27.3.1970