Meerut College, Meerut
The Meerut College was started on 15th July 1892 with only a few students and fewer teaching staff in a Municipal School building. After a few days only it was shifted to its new campus where it had to overcome many problems including shortage of funds, to give the institution a permanent status. Individual donation and grants-in-aid helped to tide over the crisis. Thereafter, the institution grew rapidly and expanded its activities in the sphere of higher education. The present campus of the College with its sports, and hostel complexes provide excellent facilities for the students to compete in the field of educational research and other activities. This College is rendering great service to the cause of higher education in the country by providing research and postgraduate facilities in different faculities, including Humanities, Science, Commerce, Law and Education. The College was affiliated to Meerut University in 1964 when the University was formed.
With gradual expansion of both teaching and recreational facilities, the College has gained in popularity. It can now look back with legitimate pride over its past 100 years that produced hundreds of successful students including those who achieved national and even international fame in different fields of activities.
The luminaries who steered this institution through its 100 years included Dr. B.R. Chaterjec the first Indian to be the Principal and a respected, educationist. Equally important was the role played by Dr. Pt. Sita Ram, who was the Secretary of the College for three decades stewarding most of the modernization programmes. Dr. Pt. Sita Ram brought glory to his alma mater when he was honoured with knighthood and later appointed the country's High Commissioner at Karachi.
The Meerut College which has earned a place of honour in the annals of educational institutions of our country now celebrates its centenary and the Department of Posts is happy to issue a commemorative postage stamp to mark this milestone in the history of the College.
The first day cover shows the old logo with the inscription ‘Animo-Et.Fide’ and the new logo with the Hindi inscription ‘Uthish that Jagarit’ adopted in the year 1953 when the Meerut College celebrated its Diamond Jubilee.
Text: Meerut College Alumni, Delhi
Design Credits: Stamp: Meerut College Alumni, Delhi, First Day cover: Shankha Samantha, Cancellation: Alka Sharma
Date of Issue: 25.4.1993